Character Sketch 1
By: Brennen McCleary
Sometimes we chose to be the leader, and sometimes others chose for us. In the book “ The Lord of The Flies” by William Golding the protagonist Ralph is chosen to be the leader of a group of small children who have crash landed on an uninhabited island. At first he doesn't want to be but then accepts it with a little bit of encouragement from a boy called piggy. At first he is a good leader for the the group of small kids but can't understand why they all resort to savagery and barbarian type behaviour. Ralph is fair,
caring and a very down to earth kind of person who tries to get the boys to focus on rescue as well as keep the kids in order. As well as being very like able he is also very good looking and well built.
- Ralph shows his caring side when he is voted leader and realizes how badly jack wanted to be the leader so he allows him to e the leader of his mall group who make up the hunting party. “Jacks in charge of the choir. They can be – what do you want them to be? Hunters.”
- Ralph is a very down to earth person because he realizes when something is to much for someone. This shows when Piggy asks to help explore the island and Ralph tells him no, much to Piggies disappointment. “ you're no good on a job like this.”
- Since Ralph is the leader he tries to keep a sense of order with the kids. “And another thing. We cant have everybody talking at once. We'll have to have 'Hands up' like at school.”
- Out of all the boys Ralph seems to be the most worried with surviving and getting off the island. “ Been working for now. And look two shelters were in position, but shaky. This one was a ruin and they keep running off.
5) Ralph's good looks and well built body also help him to be voted as the leader. “ But there was a stillness about as he sat that marked him out: there was his size and attractive appearance:”