Second Quarter- The Throne of Fire
Novel Summary Sheet ~Quartering the Text ~
Your name: Ilan Blanche Quarter #: 2
Novel Name: The Throne of fire
Author’s last name: Riordan
1. Skeletal plot (Point form only- keep this short but insightful):
1. – Save Liz and Emma
2. – Save Sadie's grandfather
3. – Heal Carter from a snake bite
4. – Capture Ra's second scroll
5. – Go after the third scroll
Conflict or “tension” eg person vs person, or (internal) person vs self; Is this important to the novel’s theme or purpose? Circle one and explain: Yes
Many times in the novel the main characters, Carter and Sadie Kane, reflect about all they went through .Meanwhile, they think about their “love” life, always followed by many problems. These kind of thing is important to the novel because it creates a “subplot” and makes the book more interesting to read.
2. Setting (When & where does various parts of your novel take place-how are theses places important to the character or the theme of your work?):
The second quarter takes place at London, Russia and Egypt. At London Sadie must save her friends form two murderer gods, in Russia Sadie and Carter have to steal the second scroll, that is kept under enemy territory and in Egypt Carter is really ill due to a snakes bite so Sadie and Bes must heal him
3. Characters (Know your character types and why this is important to your novel! (Eg. Are they round/flat-why?/static/dynamic-why?) How many characters do you meet in this quarter or do you find more about their personalities? #
Bes: He is the god of the dwarfs , he was requested to be Sadie and Carter's protector instead of Bast. Bes is quite eerie, He is really ugly and he always drive a Mercedes. Anyways, he is a good person and took care of Sadie and Carter.
Vladimir Menshikov: He is a Russian evil magician who is “enslaved” by aphophis, the the god of evil. However, he is one of the villains in the story, and tried to kill Sadie and Carter many times.
4. Point Of View~ Circle one!: 1st person
§ Why do you think the writer chose this point of view to develop plot character or themes?
He chooses first person and alternate between the two main characters, so he can tell the story from each one point o view.
5.Notables on writer’s style and structure!
§ Are there similes or metaphors? Record a quote: “or from the person closest to his heart”
§ Visual or other imagery? Record a quote: “ shattered a nearby McDonald's sign”
§ Is there unusual vocabulary or diction? Record a quote: “ slammed into the tjesu heru”
§ Is the novel structured with a particular idea? Record a quote or explain:the novel is structured to narrate a story by the main characters voice and opinions. The novel is also about good versus evil
§ Is there dialogue & is it realistic? Record a quote: “you want to save Zia. I get that. You want her to like you. But when you rescue somebody... it complicates things”.
1. Themes: Record words and topics related to themes contained and developed in your novel:
· Good versus evil
Personal Response to this quarter: what you thought or felt, related to, did not relate to; how universal is the experience that your protagonist goes through?
I felt quite interested in the book because in this quarter there is a lot of action and sub-plots happening like family struggles and love stories going on. The protagonists experience is very universal, they travel all around the world for their missions in order to save the world from evil.