Novel Summary Sheet ~Quartering the Text ~
Your name: Sarah Tayler Novel Name: Girlfriend in a Coma
Quarter # 2 Author’slast name: DouglasCoupland
1. Skeletal plot(Point form only- keep thisshort but insightful):
1.–After hearing her mom is a “vegetable” at age 6 Richard finally brings Megan to visit Karen and after that they go together every Sunday.
2.– After a stock market crash Richard gets a drinking problem and never sees Megan. Ham and Pam get together. So do Wendy and Linus. Everyone is confronted by their problems. Megan is a teen.
3.– Pam becomes a movie make-up artist, and while on set the friends all get movie jobs together.
4.– After a Halloween party, everyone coincidentally ends up at the hospital where Karen is, and she wakes up after 17 years.
5.– Becomes Karen's story. Karen views the world from eyes of the past from a 17year old, disappointed, while everyone is proud of efficiency.
Conflict or “tension” eg person vs person, or (internal) person vs self; Is this important to the novel’s theme or purpose? Yes
Explanation: The most important tension is when Karen wakes up, and the tension between the friends that follows. She doesn't understand or approve of the new world, while her friends have all totally bought into it. This is very important, later in the story.
2. Setting (Where & where does various parts of your novel take place-how are these places important to the character or the theme of your work?): A lot of the setting in this quarter ranges in Vancouver. Most is at Karen's home, but the place doesn't contribute a lot to this portion of the story. What matters is that it is now the twenty first century. It's important to Karen because she missed the ending and transition to the future. Everything that is common sense to everyone else is strange and alien to her, even though it's the place she grew up.
3.Characters (Know your character types and why this is important to your novel! (Eg. Are they round/flat-why?/static/dynamic-why?) How many characters do you meet in this quarter or do you find more about their personalities?):
1) Karen: Round / Dynamic –Karen is forced to change in the new world, and it becomes her story. She's got the maturity and mind of a teenager, but she loves her daughter, and Richard. The world changes her a bit, but she disapproves of the way it's devolved and become so proud of efficiency, when there's no ambition or beliefs about anything anymore.
2) Richard: Round / Dynamic– Richard goes through a big change, being a loser dad, to a somewhat happy special effects worker, to a hope-fulfilled half of a couple when Karen awakes. He works really hard for Karen.
3) Megan: Round / Dynamic –Three changes. She's a teenage clone with the identical group like Karen was, then gets into drugs and drinking with a scum bag boyfriend. The moment Karen wakes up she resolves to change and be a great daughter, becoming instant pals with Karen.
4) Lois: Round / Static – She's still the same old horrible mom who tries to raise Megan as another obedient Karen, without success, as Megan always rebels harshly. When Karen wakes up she feels ashamed, but returns to the shallow treatment as Karen gets better.
5) George: Flat / Static – He becomes a rarely talked about background character who's closer to Karen now, and doesn't love Megan as much compared to Karen.
6) Hamilton: Round / Dynamic – He really gets in trouble with heroin, almost dying, and is a complete pessimist about life who escapes through getting high. When Karen wakes up, he's shocked out of it a little, but still miserable.
7) Pam: Round Dynamic – After her modelling career goes down the toilet she reunites with her group in show-biz behind the scenes. Same as Ham, she almost dies from heroin after trying to escape life, but is shocked out of it when Karen wakes up and they return to their best-friendship.
8) Linus: Round / Dynamic – He disappears on a journey for a while, trying to find the meaning of life. He eventually comes back, failed, gets in trouble after whimsically stealing dynamite from his company to make rock art, becomes a special effects artist with the friends, marries Wendy because they understand each other and recognizes how screwed up they all are.
9) Wendy: Round / Dynamic – She overworks herself all the time as a doctor, and gets married to Linus after he returns because of mutual similarity, though she still secretly loves Jared from high school who died. She's fed up with Pam and Ham about heroin and almost doesn't believe the irrational, impossible fully functioning awakened Karen.
4.Point Of View~ Circle one!: Limited Omniscient
§ Whydo you think the writer chose this point of view to develop plotcharacter or themes?
It switches from POV to POV of different characters to effectively show the personality, thoughtand change in each characters, and the subconscious bracing beforeKaren's awakening.
5.Notables on writer’s style and structure!
§ Are there similes or metaphors? Record a quote: “A cough like two thick steaks flapping against each other.”
§ Visual or other imagery? Record a quote: “The Ocean far below the highway is a flat anvil blue.”
§ Is there unusual vocabulary or diction? Record a quote: ”Scuzz bucket...Sugar-cakes...like a rib-ticklish Camaro...”
§ Is the novel structured with a particular idea? Record a quote orexplain: This quarter is about how things change over time, and devolution.
§ Ist here dialogue & is it realistic? Record a quote: “And now you have and I see I've just been horrible to everybody .”
6. Themes: Record words and topics related to themes contained and developed in your novel:
· “My twenties were vanishing and the only good thing I had going for me was a daughter who I hardly ever saw.”
· “I’m worried that we might not even be able to change.”
· “It would really bug me not to know what the cty looked like in a hundred years.”
· “The afterworld is all about infinity; the future is only about changes in this world.”
Personal Response to this quarter: what you thought or felt, related to, did not relate to; how universal is the experience that your protagonist goes through?
Since I have not gone through a couple more decades and experienced the change in times, or gone into a coma and woken up in the future and experienced the sudden change, It’s hard to relate to this portion.