Novel Summary Sheet ~1st Quarter of Text
Your name: Patrick Reed Quarter #: 1
Novel Name: Lord of the Flies Author's last name: Golding
1. Skeletal plot (point form only-keep this short but insightful):
- - Ralph (protagonist) meets Piggy and Ralph finds the conch shell.
- - Ralph uses conch to call everyone on the island to a meeting point, and he was made leader.
- - Jack, Ralph and Simon all go exploring on this place and confirm its an island.
- - They decide to build a fire as an S.O.S signal for any rescue that might pass by.
- - The fire spreads to the forest and burns all their firewood, and they lost the kid the the mark on his face.
~Conflict or “Tension” eg person vs person, or (internal) person vs self; Is this important to the novel's theme or purpose? Explain:
Explanation: There is a lot of tension between the children because some of them have conflicting ideas of what they should do first, and now one is lost so the blame falls on Ralph.
2. Setting (When & where does various parts of your novel take place – how are these places important to the character or the theme of your work?):
So far it has just been one day on an island they are stranded on. The place is important because it shows they will have to be completely independent from adults to survive.
3. Characters (Know your character types and why this is important to your novel! Eg. Are they round/flat-why?) How many characters do you meet in this quarter or do you find more about their personalities?
# 3 important characters
At the start it seems like all the main characters are flat and static at the first quarter of the book.
-1. Ralph ~ We find out he is a very optimistic kid, by always thinking his dad will find them no matter what.
-2. Jack ~ We find out he is a very controlling character even though he did not become leader he still got control of the hunters.
-3. Piggy ~ He is the opposite of Ralph and being pessimistic about everything, and he has the right to be so because he has been picked on his entire life.
4. P.O.V.~ 3rd person/limited omniscient. Why do you think the writer chose this point of view to develop plot character or themes?
With this point of view we can see how multiple people feel about what is happening. It develops the plot by knowing every ones opinion on Ralph being leader and how they feel about the decisions he makes.
5. Notables on writer's style and structure!
-Are there similes or metaphors?
Lots of his metaphors and similes are to do with the war. “A tree exploded in the fire like a bomb.”
-Is there unusual vocabulary or diction?
The term creepers was unusual to me. It sounds like an insect but is actually vine like plants.
-Is the novel structured with a particular idea?
The first quarter seems to be structured around the idea, “progress is created through order.”
-Is there dialogue & is it realistic?
Yes there is quite a bit of dialogue and it is mostly realistic. Lots of arguing which seems appropriate for being stranded on an island.
6. Theme: Record words and topics related to themes contained and developed in your novel:
- Progress is created through order. “Piggy glanced nervously into hell...” The hell was the forest fire they caused because not enough order.
I can not really relate to any of the first quarter. But it is a good first quarter starting off with most of the kids being quite relaxed oppose to chaos because of their situation. Although we can tell there is some tension and i would like to see how that progresses through the novel.