Novel Summary Sheet ~Quartering the Text ~
Your name: Ilan Blanche Quarter #: 3
Novel Name: The Throne of fire
Author’s last name: Riordan
1. Skeletal plot (Point form only- keep this short but insightful):
1. – Capture Rah`s third scroll
2. – Rescue Zia
3. – Escape from Vlad and Desjardins
4. – Start their journey to awake the god Rah
Conflict or “tension” eg person vs person, or (internal) person vs self; Is this important to the novel’s theme or purpose? Circle one and explain: Yes
In this quarter there is a special moment that the mais characters have a conflict with each other. They are in the middle of the desert and Carter had to choose between going with his sister to a mission or rescue his girlfriend, and he chose his girlfriend making his sister sad and upset.
2. Setting (When & where does various parts of your novel take place-how are theses places important to the character or the theme of your work?):
The third quarter takes place in Egypt and the Duat ( a parallel world for mystic creatures). Egypt is really important for this book because the book is related to Egyptian history and the Duat is also very important because many important actions happen there.
3. Characters (Know your character types and why this is important to your novel! (Eg. Are they round/flat-why?/static/dynamic-why?) How many characters do you meet in this quarter or do you find more about their personalities? #
Carter: In the third quarter you discover that he really fell in love for Zia.
4. Point Of View~ Circle one!: 1st person
§ Why do you think the writer chose this point of view to develop plot character or themes?
He chooses first person and alternate between the two main characters. I think this way of telling the story is really interesting and distinct , it is a different way of reading that i liked very much.
5.Notables on writer’s style and structure!
§ Are there similes or metaphors? Record a quote: “The Nile is trying to wash away the evil that happened here.”
§ Visual or other imagery? Record a quote: “I woke on a sofa in a hotel room with no idea how I had gotten there”.
§ Is there unusual vocabulary or diction? Record a quote: “ The breeze smelled of exhaust, animal manure, and apple sisha.”
§ Is the novel structured with a particular idea? Record a quote or explain:The novel is structured to tell the story through the characters opinions, and the story is about good and evil and hopelessness.
§ Is there dialogue & is it realistic? Record a quote: “The boy can be contained in more human ways”.
1. Themes: Record words and topics related to themes contained and developed in your novel:
· Good versus evil
Personal Response to this quarter: what you thought or felt, related to, did not relate to; how universal is the experience that your protagonist goes through?
During this third quarter I became bored sometimes because this quarter does not have as much action as the other last two quarters. The protagonists experience is very universal, they travel all around the world for their missions in order to save the world from evil.