Quartering The Text
Your Name: Brennen McCleary
Novels Name: Lord of The Flies Golding
Authors last Name: Golding
1) skeletal plot(point form only-keep this short but insightful)
- they go looking for the beast but get side tracked and start hunting a wild boar, this is Ralph's first hunt
- jack gets mad and leaves the group saying he is starting his own clan
- jacks new group attacks and raids Ralph's group and they steel sticks with fire on them
- after fainting in the forest Simone comes out but is mistaken as a wild pig by jacks trip who are in a frenzy and is brutally killed.
Conflict or tension eg: person vs person, or person vs self; is this important to the novel's theme or purpose. Yes or No and explain
yes, there is allot of tension between Ralph and jack, this is made worse when Ralph does not want to go hunting the beast and jack in anger leaves to start his own tribe.
- Setting (when and where does various parts of your novel take place- how are these places important to the character or the theme of you work?) takes place on an island and is important to the the theme of the story because it shows that the kids are truly alone and must defend for themselves entirely and work together to survive.
- Characters (know your character types and why this is important to your novel)(are they round/flat-why?/static/dynamic-why?)(how many characters do you meet in this quarter or do you find more about their personalities? - Ralph, he is the kind of kid who always sees the glass half full and is convinced his dad is out there looking for him-Jack is the kind of kid who enjoys being right and in control of people-piggy, he is very smart but comes across as annoying because of his dull look on life
- Point of view: 1st person/3rd person/limited omniscient Or omniscient(why do you think the writer chose this point of view to develop plot character or themes) the point of view is 3rd person, this allows the reader to see what more then one character is thinking and develops the plot me allowing you to see what the other kids think of Ralph's decisions
- notables on the writers style and structure
-visual or the other imagery? when Simone is ripped apart by the chanting boys it represents how crazy the boys have become in there short time on the island
-is the novel structured with a particular idea? Record a quote or explain: it is structured with sort of civilization vs savagery
-is the dialogue and is it realistic? The dialogue is very realistic because of all the tension created between Ralph and Jack.
- themes:record words and topics related to themes contained and developed in your novel:- there is one big theme in the novel and it is innate human evil
personal response to this quarter: what you thought or felt , related to, did not relate to; how universal is the experience that your protagonist goes through? I think Ralph should of foreseen that Jack was eventually going to break away and start his own tribe and should of taken measures to do something about it.