Quartering The Text
Your Name: Brennen McCleary
Novels Name: Lord of The Flies Golding
Authors last Name: Golding
1) skeletal plot(point form only-keep this short but insightful)
- The “littluns” spend there time eating fruit and playing in the sand.
- Jack is obsessed with killing a pig so he paints his face and takes all the hunters to go hunting with him, and leaves the fire unattended.
- The kids miss a chance to get of the island because the single fire was left unattended and had gone out.
- a dead parachutist falls from the sky and gets tangled in the trees and is mistakes for the beast by the twins
Conflict or tension eg: person vs person, or person vs self; is this important to the novel's theme or purpose. Yes or No and explain
Yes, tension is created when jack takes all the hunters out hunting and lets the fire die and the kids miss there chance to get off the island.
- Setting (when and where does various parts of your novel take place- how are these places important to the character or the theme of you work?) takes place on an island and is important to the the theme of the story because it shows that the kids are truly alone and must defend for themselves entirely and work together to survive
- Characters (know your character types and why this is important to your novel)(are they round/flat-why?/static/dynamic-why?)(how many characters do you meet in this quarter or do you find more about their personalities? There are 3 main characters- Ralph, he is the kind of kid who always sees the glass half full and is convinced his dad is out there looking for him-Jack is the kind of kid who enjoys being right and in control of people-piggy, he is very smart but comes across as annoying because of his dull look on life
- Point of view: 1st person/3rd person/limited omniscient Or omniscient(why do you think the writer chose this point of view to develop plot character or themes) the point of view is 3rd person, this allows the reader to see what more then one character is thinking and develops the plot me allowing you to see what the other kids think of Ralph's decisions
- notables on the writers style and structure
-visual or the other imagery? Record a quote: The conch shell represents order and a sense of leadership
-is the novel structured with a particular idea? Record a quote or explain: it is structured with sort of civilization vs savagery
-is the dialogue and is it realistic? record a quote: There is allot of dialogue and i think it is realistic even though some of them are starting to become more savage like.
- themes:record words and topics related to themes contained and developed in your novel:- there is one big theme in the novel and it is innate human evil
personal response to this quarter: what you thought or felt , related to, did not relate to; how universal is the experience that your protagonist goes through? This quarter is far more exiting then the first one because jack is far more intense about is hunting. As well as the kids come close to getting of the island.